Covenant Church belongs to a larger denominational family called the Be In Christ Church of Canada (formerly Brethren in Christ in Canada or BIC Canada). As a family we are almost 250 years old.
The one word summary of what we believe is Jesus. The Bible describes Jesus as "the image of the invisible God" (Colossians 1:15) and "the exact representation of [God's] being" (Hebrews 1:3). Jesus is our model for life, the lens through which we understand the Bible, and our example of love. He is central to who we are and what we are becoming.
More specifically, the Brethren in Christ has been shaped by three primary church streams:
- Anabaptism - Anabaptists emphasized (among other things) community, the importance of following the way of Jesus, separation of church and state, and actively pursuing peace.
- Pietism - Pietists were concerned about the over-intellectualization of the Christian faith and emphasized genuine conversion and a warm, personal experience of renewed life in Jesus.
- Wesleyanism - Influenced by British scholar and teacher, John Wesley, the Brethren in Christ became convinced of the power of the Holy Spirit to bring transformative change in the life of a Jesus follower.
In Canada we are united around ten core values:
- Experiencing God’s Love and Grace - We value the free gift of salvation in Christ Jesus and the transforming power of the Holy Spirit.
- Believing the Bible - We value the Bible as God’s authoritative Word, study it together, and build our lives on its truth.
- Worshiping God - We value heartfelt worship that is God-honouring, Spirit-directed, and life-changing.
- Following Jesus - We value wholehearted obedience to Christ Jesus through the empowering presence of the Holy Spirit.
- Belonging to the Community of Faith - We value integrity in relationships and mutual accountability in an atmosphere of grace, love, and acceptance.
- Witnessing to the World - We value an active and loving witness for Christ to all people.
- Serving Compassionately - We value serving others at their point of need, following the example of our Lord Jesus.
- Pursuing Peace - We value all human life and promote forgiveness, understanding, reconciliation, and non-violent resolution of conflict.
- Living Simply - We value uncluttered lives, which free us to love boldly, give generously, and serve joyfully.
- Relying on God - We confess our dependence on God for everything, and seek to deepen our intimacy with Him by living prayerfully.
For more information on who we are, our history, and what we believe visit www.canadianbic.ca/about-us/.