Covenant Weekly - March 11, 2017
March 6, 2018
The Oxford dictionary offers this as one of the definitions of "loss".
The feeling of grief after losing someone or something of value.
Loss can be as simple as the loss of a $5 bill or a favourite toy. It could look like the loss of a job, a home, a friendship, or a dream. Loss can be as significant as the death of a loved one. Each of these losses can leave us with feelings of grief. The grief we feel is both universal and as unique as the situation and the individual feeling it.
Sunday will be an occasion of loss. As we say goodbye to Kyle we are truly losing someone of value within our Covenant family. And Kyle is losing something of value in his Covenant family. There will be grief on Sunday. Having served in five previous churches I know something of this loss. It has been felt uniquely each time, but it has been felt genuinely.
As we move through Sunday and saying goodbye to Kyle, I'd like to invite you to join me in prayer for a few things:
- Pray that we will have a great time of celebration of Kyle, for the impact he's had on our Covenant family, and for the work he has done.
- Pray that we will allow for grief. Grief over someone leaving is a demonstration of the love that exists. Feel free to show that love in the midst of the celebration.
- Pray that Kyle will feel honoured and celebrated.
- Pray that God will be pleased with how we show love to each another through the celebration and the grief.
- Pray for our students, among whom, this loss will be felt most acutely. Pray that they will feel affirmed and supported through their grief.
I am confident that God is leading Kyle and is leading Covenant. I am confident that the work God has done in the lives of the youth through Kyle is only the beginning of his work in their lives. I'm confident that our future steps (Covenant's and Kyle's) will be blessed as we stay connected Jesus and follow him well.
But Sunday is a time for both celebration and grief as we lose Kyle from among us. I'm thankful that God is present in both aspects!